Monday, May 23, 2005

Wise words

In the wake of last week's very close confidence vote, I have read a great deal of ho-hum political analysis. In my opinion, though, this excerpt is rather insightful. (See Why Conservatives Should Thank Chuck Cadman for the full story.)

As for the leader of the loyal opposition, Stephen Harper just doesn't get it. Hidden in the media spin surrounding the budget votes yesterday is all the evidence the Conservative Party needs to rid itself of the man who cannot possibly win them power. Far be it from me to help this Reform/Alliance retread party be more effective, given its draconian, hidden agenda. But the fact is, this extremist agenda is exactly what Harper brings to the party. If the Conservatives actually chose someone from the old Progressive Conservative wing of their party as leader, not only would they do better, but Canada would not be constantly threatened by Harper's vision of creating a carbon copy of the US north of the border. While Harper is almost pathologically committed to an American vision of the country, what's left of the old PCs -- especially the Red Tories -- might just have enough good sense left to recognize that Canadians are moving to the left in their values and policy preferences.

Meanwhile, in another part of my brain...

So difficult it is to show the various meanings and imperfections of words when we have nothing else but words to do it with. —John Locke, philosopher (1632-1704)

I've been writing a little lately, not all of it course proposals and evasive e-mail. Overall I'm still mostly exhausted and periodically lost. But on the bright side, I start holidays on the 29th, so I can sleep a lot then.

The weather here is rainy and cool, but most of the garden has come into leaf. You'll never believe what I found at the grocery yesterday: blackberries! They were delicious. Tonight I made ribs for dinner, one of Zak's favourites. Soon I may work up the energy to clean house or sew my summer dresses; or perhaps I'll get my mom to sew them after all. Hmm... : )

Today I like: buffalo, green days, long straight highways, blue gingham, sunflower seeds, mortarboards, and September 1.

Now reading: Adultery by Richard B. Wright (not enjoying it), Toxic Sludge Is Good for You! by John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton (it's eye-opening), and Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron (just beginning). Just finished An Alchemy of Mind by Diane Ackerman (not nearly as good as A Mind of Its Own: The Cultural History of the Penis, which I finished last week). I ordered a book called Who Killed Shakespeare? by Patrick Brantlinger — excellent fodder for my dissertation, from what I've read of it. So many books! But remember that I'm always looking for other suggestions, please.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that B's book What Grows Here was nominated for Trade Book of the Year at the Book Publishers' awards. It didn't win, unfortunately, but it should have. Oh well, there's another volume for next year!

Happy belated birthday to the Taureans! I hope you all have a wonderful year.

That's it: time to get ready for bed. Be well.

L

1 comment:

Earl J. Woods said...

I read Toxic Sludge is Good for You! a couple of years back; the details are a little fuzzy now, but I remember having the impression that the book presented a good examination of corporate attempts to label any research they don't like as "junk science." Well worth reading.