Monday, February 01, 2016

Reading Riot

Greetings! As you know, over the last few weeks I've been trying to finish my long-promised book-editing textbook. When I haven't been writing, I've been reading. Yet January hasn't been a good month for writing down books toward my annual count, according to my rules. Although I record most books I read, I make some exceptions. For instance, I don't usually record graphic novels (although I have in a few cases) and don't record picture books. So the number of books I've read in January looks pretty terrible, but that's not the whole picture. Here's what I haven't counted as "read":

Graphica
Exquisite Corpse (Penelope Bagieu)
Sex Criminals V. 1: One Weird Trick (Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky)
Sex Criminals V. 2: Two Worlds, One Cop (Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky)
Nimona (Noelle Stevenson)
In Real Life (Cory Doctorow, Jen Wang)
El Deafo (Cece Bell)

By the way, I loved Nimona: so sweet! And I think the Sex Criminals series is excellent, though certainly not to everyone's taste. I'm keen for the third volume to arrive at the library.

Kids' Picture Books
This Is Sadie (Sara O'Leary, Julie Morstad)
Louis I, King of the Sheep (Olivier Tallec)
The Skunk (Mac Barnett)
Today I Will Fly! (Mo Willems)
Bears Don't Read! (Emma Chichester Clark)
Big and Little (Ruth Krauss, Mary Szilagyi)
You're Just What I Need (Ruth Krauss, Julia Noonan)
The Happy Egg (Ruth Krauss, Crockett Johnson)
Goodnight Goodnight Sleepyhead (Ruth Krauss, Jane Dyer)
Posy (Linda Newbery, Catherine Rayner)

Right now, as you can see, I'm very interested in writer Ruth Krauss. I've read most of her books (she was one of Ursula Nordstrom's authors, so you know I'd have to like her) and think I may have an article / chapter to write about her; but so far I haven't found much written about her, other than a single book about her and her husband. But that's what research is all about.

So, welcome to February, and here's to more reading — of the kind that I can record and count!

No comments: