Friday, April 15, 2016

Thank the gods I'm a verbal communicator

The submission of the "figures" to support my manuscript has been preying on my mind for a few weeks, and my deadline for submitting these materials is today. (I uploaded them yesterday, though, for the win!)

It's been difficult for me to imagine what my book will look like in finished form, and as I was writing I tried to include many different kinds of supporting materials, all loosely categorized as "figures." Some of these materials are sample documents, such as letters and reports; some are photographs, to demonstrate visually what I'm explaining with words; and some are illustrations. The illustrations have caused me special grief because ... well, take a look at the evidence below. The publisher asked me to submit sketches of what I want for each figure.

1. Sketch of a sewn book block: This is my sketch of someone else's illustration that had been photocopied several times. It gets the idea across, I guess, but it won't teach anyone the technical mechanics of manufacturing a sewn binding.


2. Sketch of hardcover case: Another sketch based on a model, in this case, a photo I took of an open hardcover book. I have no sense of line, proportion, or dimension, clearly.


3. Sketch of alternative bindings: At this point I was getting tired and frustrated, hence the somewhat sloppy drawing and the bizarre crenelation of the Cerlox binding. This was the last sketch I made, again using the model of an illustration in its seventh or eighth generation as a photocopy.


4. Fused sketches of perfect binding: This sketch was drawn based on two different Internet images; I made each sketch on a separate page, but soon realized that was an error: I wanted the images together. Rather than redraw them again (which might have caused my head to explode, as these were the third or fourth versions already), I folded the pages together. Et voilĂ . I particularly like the show-through of my first attempt on the verso.


Thank goodness a professional illustrator will redraw each sketch properly!

And that is how I spent most of my Thursday (and several hours back in December, too).


No comments: