Thursday, July 16, 2015

La la la la ...


You may recall Bert and Ernie of Sesame Street singing the following lovely, lilting lyrics:

(Bert begins)
La, la, la, la lemon
La, la, la, la light bulb
La, la, la, la lamp post
La, la, la, la lump in my oatmeal

(Ernie makes some suggestions)
La, la, la, la laughter
La, la, la, la lullaby
La, la, la, la lollipop
La, la, la, la lights in the sky

(Bert has a good idea)
La, la, la linoleum!

(Ernie explains)
Listen to me
Because L is such a lovely letter
For words like "licorice" and "lace"
The letter L lights up your face
So why not la, la, la, la with me!

It's likely no surprise that this song has become something of a motif in my life. And so here's my take on the L song. (Who's the Bert in this scenario?)

La, la, la, la laundry
La, la, la, la lichen
La, la, la, la lugworm
La, la, la, la left-over lunch

La, la, la, la lava
La, la, la, la lachrymose
La, la, la, la laxative
La, la, la, la lay down the law

La, la, la lycanthropy!

(Why don't you put it in the middle of your forehead?)

Still, I think L is the loveliest, most likable letter of the alphabet and in my lexicon. So there!

No comments: