Monday, December 31, 2012

Top 25 plays for 2012



 
Two thousand twelve has likely been the most unusual year of my life to date, and I see the year reflected clearly in my Top 25 playlist from iTunes. I find the tenacity of certain songs amusing, the appearance of new music encouraging. Some of these songs make me think of clear summer mornings on my new bicycle, others of the persistent circuits of living. And some likely seem random and inconsistent — but I never forget the power of my inner fifteen-year-old girl.

Maroon 5, "Moves Like Jagger"
Muse, "Madness"
Deadmau5, "The Veldt"
ABBA, "Summer Night City"
Lady Gaga, "Judas"
Siouxsie and the Banshees, "This Wheel's on Fire"
ABBA, "Take a Chance on Me"
Kim Wilde, "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
Jenson Interceptor, "Tiny Thing"
Amanda Palmer, "Map of Tasmania"
Florence and the Machine, "What the Water Gave Me"
Hawksley Workman, "Smoke Baby"
Nickelback, "Burn It to the Ground"
Roger Whittaker, "Kilgarry Mountain"
Jimmy Rankin, "We'll Carry On (Prelude)"
Christina Aguilera, "Dirrrty"
Milla, "Electric Sky"
ABBA, "Waterloo"
Caramell, "Caramelldansen"
Kate Bush, "Be Kind to My Mistakes"
The Doobie Brothers, "Long Train Runnin'"
The Irish Rovers, "Lord of the Dance (Live)"
Hair Soundtrack, "The Flesh Failures"
Deadmau5, "Raise Your Weapon"
Loggins and Messina, "House at Pooh Corner"

I'm resetting my iTunes play counts on January 1. Through the music I'll chart the journey through the next twelve months. Looking forward to seeing what they bring.

2 comments:

Earl J. Woods said...

My friend Steve pointed me to Deadmau5's "The Veldt," and I love it, and not just because it's such a great tribute to Ray Bradbury. I purchased the eight-minute edit shortly after watching the song's clever music video. It's very catchy, yet also somehow mournful.

To my surprise, I've found myself listening to a lot of Katy Perry this year. I particularly enjoy the whimsical "Last Friday Night" and "I'm Wide Awake," which has some similarities, to my ear anyway, to "The Veldt" - that funky vibrating keyboard thing that I can't properly identify.

Leslie said...

Hi Earl,

I'm glad you like "The Veldt", too. I have the radio mix and the eight-minute edit, but haven't purchased any of the other versions. And the video is indeed clever. I still get a bit of a frisson from the "feeding on remains" line, though.

I have a few older Katy Perry songs. Maybe I'll check out the ones you mention. Thanks!