Friday, June 05, 2015

Work and Play

B will tell you that I do not understand the concept of a vacation. Or at least I do not seem to know how to relax. In my defence, I'd say that I've been living my life on double-speed for so long that I can rarely disentangle work from play. Let's examine the photographic record.

1. This is Zak at eight months old on the lawn of Dale's house in Calgary, May 1992. I'm all dressed up because a few hours earlier I had given a forestry presentation at a school in Red Deer. The next day, we flew to Victoria for a holiday. Zak made a great smiling baby!


2. This is Zak four years later (spring 1996). We're in a queue for the ferry, so we're en route back to Vancouver. Notice the contrast in clothing: clearly a vacation.


3. This is me on my way to a Hallowe'en party, standing on the stairs of my former workplace, the WBM house. Earl took this photo. OK, definitely a intertwingling of work and play...


4. Zak, MeMere, and me. Brooks, July 2006: a weekend party for PePere's birthday. Definitely en vacances.


Well, I'm not sure I've made a strong case that I know how to relax, but I enjoyed flipping through these photographs. In fact, when I unearthed the photo basket, I realized we have hundreds of photos that exist only as prints, not in digital copies, so I could spend the next few weeks scanning and saving them ... Or maybe that would only prove B's point ...

No comments: